Without a proper understanding of research, you can’t make your work productive. How will you present your assignments if you don’t have enough information to include? Moreover, researching is a scientific and systematic approach for data collection. It also helps to compile, explain, and execute an academic task. On the other hand, research and science directly connected to each other. Your intense research leads you toward new discoveries. For that, you must understand the types of research methods.
Research helps to clear concepts and understand a particular topic. The more you go in deep; the clearer thoughts you will receive. As we know, we are leading towards a more technological era where without proper research one can’t expect the desired information. If you need to gather more information about a topic then you require to adopt proper research channels. In this write-up, you will find useful insights into research. It also describes the different types of research methods and their preferences in academic progress.
What do you understand by term research?
Research connects you with your topic more clearly. What will you do if you need to boost your knowledge on a specific topic? Definitely, you will perform research. Analysis of your findings using a systematic approach called research. Your method of research depends on the type of information you are looking for.
Usually, research starts from Google and ends up in Wikipedia. This is because Wiki pages act as credible sources of information. It is not a difficult task to collect information on a topic if you have credible resources. Use reliable and dependable sources for correct information. However, getting information from valid sources may be a cumbersome task for you in certain cases.
What role researching play in your academics?
Many times you think about the necessity of research in your assignment. And, you could not connect yourself between these topics. In this context, research acts as an essential task for effective academic writing. Evaluate the following key-factors to understand the necessity of research for an assignment:
- Check the authenticity of the information before acquiring it.
- Collect facts and evidence on topics to ensure its sustainability.
- Learn how to evaluate things and choose a better version of research.
- Enhance researching skills which are an important task for every project.
- Understand the topic more deeply.
- Remove misunderstanding related to any concepts.
People are vulnerable to believe in sayings without check the authenticity of the guidelines. Thus, make sure that you have proper evidence to justify your statements before including it in your projects.
What are the types of research methods?
Now, you have the idea of why research is a crucial step for your academic papers. You should not feel depressed if you do not have adequate research skills. You have the option of online assignment help to enhance your skills. Furthermore, there are different types of research methods that you should know before starting your work.
Basic or fundamental research:
Conduct pure research to uncover new facts. The basic or pure research helps you to discover the fundamental principles of your research scientifically. This research method works on the bases of experiments and observations. For better understanding, you can also imagine some questions such as why the earth is revolving around the sun. What are the fundamentals of our nervous system? In this research, you will explore the scientific reasons for what is happening around us.
The information you collect from your basic research will apply to another research that is why it is called applied research. The applied search is all about to collect information for improving your general knowledge. It is also applied for solving some practical problems. Rather than exploratory, it leads to descriptive solutions to your answers.
Difference between basic and applied research
|Topics||Pure or fundamental research||Applied research|
|Objective||Problem-solving by applying an application of the discipline.||Problem-solving by applying the basics of the discipline.|
|Approach||Numerous disciplines used to solve the query.||Only one approach used to analyze the problem.|
|Language||A common language is used to compile the reports.||The technical language is used to compile the reports.|
|Logic||This research reflects the phenomena responsible for changes in most of the things.||This research says no changes in variables.|
|Generalization||No generalization is applied in basic research||Generalization is preferred in applied research.|
This research aims to search for numeric data or number figures. It targets quantitative analysis.
- This research projects information on the bases of past records. It also helps to create an image of future analysis after observing the records carefully.
- Quantitative research is helpful in developing mathematical models and theories related to a phenomenon.
- A systemic empirical exploration of quantitative properties, phenomena, and their relationship is used to define different terms under social science.
- Because of the quantitative research, you would provide the fundamental relationship between empirical examination and mathematical expression.
- Statistics is one of the best examples where quantitative research is applied. Whenever you have to explain terms under economics and commerce, prefer this research in your analysis.
- It is a non-quantitative type of analysis. In this research, data is collected, analyzed, and interpreted based on the reviews of what people think about a specific topic.
- Under the qualitative research, you can interpret many things using their definitions, meanings, and characteristics. It can also prefer metaphors, symbols, and descriptions to understand this research.
- This research focuses on subjective analysis. You can use various methods for collecting information through an in-depth observation of people’s opinions.
- It refers to an exploratory and open-ended approach. In this approach, a group of people is interviewed to justify the data.
Classification of Qualitative research Method:
- Phenomenology: This type of research explains the phenomenon on the basis of an individual’s experience. It shares the opinion of people on what they are expected from their government.
- Ethnography: This type of research based on a group of people in which they share attributes, language, and material things.
- Case study: In this research, details of one or more cases are explained. For example, the case study of the blood cancer patient.
- Grounded theory: This type of research based on grounded observations of data. Use quantitative data, records observation, interviews, and surveys to justify your observations.
- Historical research: This research presents a platform where past and present events are discussed in the context of the present circumstances. It also ensures to answers all queries related to current issues.
Conceptual research focuses on the information which is already present to explain or describe the phenomenon. For example: finding answers to such questions such as what are the causes of disease? What is the matter? How to define our galaxy?
- It doesn’t involve any practical experiments focusing on the abstraction of ideas or concepts.
- The best example to understand the concept of conceptual research is the theory of Newton’s law. As we know, the fundamentals of Newton’s law based on the concept of motion and gravitation.
For the conceptual research framework, read the following steps:
- Selection of a topic for your research: Prior to starting your research, make sure you select a topic to gather enough information. It is essential to choose a topic related to your field of specialization.
- Collect relevant particulars: Once you have selected your topic, time to gather information related to the same. In conceptual research, most of your information based on previous research. Thus, it is an essential step for your research. Prefer scientific journals and research papers published by scientists as a source of your information.
- Categorize variables: It is important to identify the particular variables related to your research topic. This step will add meaning to your work. If you like to include research on the occurrence of cancer in children, age and gender are two variables for your research.
- Create the framework: After collecting all the needed information, you need to outline your research framework. This step focuses on answering the questions based on your research.
Benefits of conceptual research for your assignment
- The main focus of conceptual research is to describe the concept of research or explore a phenomenon. Does it have answers to questions such as what are the cause of the phenomenon? What are the reasons responsible for the occurrence?
- This research doesn’t allow any kind of experiment whereas it based on previously conducted studies. Your time, efforts and resources are saved using this research. With this research, students could generate more relevant information.
- It is the most convenient form of research to create a conceptual outline through relevant information on the topic.
Empirical research focuses on the study based on observation and measurement of phenomena. The information under this research is based on real-life experience. Most important elements of this research are:
- A question for which you conduct research.
- Approach to make the planned design as per your question and try to gather information from credible resources.
- Time to collect primary data for further observation.
- Use a correct methodology to gather and analyze the data using a survey or an experiment.
- Create a sample via limiting the data to a specific group, area or time.
- Reliability in which you recreate the study and test the outcomes.
- Generalization reflects discoveries to a larger sample and other circumstances.
Descriptive research explains the characteristics of a phenomenon or the population that needs to be discussed. This research also focuses on the detailed nature of the demographics without answering the reasons why the phenomenon occurs. In this research, quantifiable information uses statistically analyze the target audience or a specific subject. Thus, this research is not experimental. Besides, it focuses on correlational or observational data.
Characteristics of Descriptive Research
This research method works on the theory of research question, designing, and data observation responsible for gathering information on a topic. It has some distinctive characteristics which explained below:
- Quantitative research: It is a quantitative research method used to collect quantifiable information for statistical observation of the population sample. Using this market research method, you can collect and explore the nature of the demographic segment.
- Uncontrolled variables: In descriptive research, observational methods are used to conduct the research in which none of the variables are influenced.
- Cross-sectional readings: Using a cross-sectional study, you could explore the different sections (belongs to the same group) under this method.
- Support further research: Whatever the data gathered under this method that can be used for further research using other research practices.
This research method focuses on the facts or information that are already available to make a critical evaluation of the topic. With this method, the researcher could understand and explain the complex phenomenon using an in-depth study. It is primarily focused on hypothesis testing, specifying, and interpreting relationships.
Subdivision of analytical research
- Historical research: This research allows users to get the origin and development of a phenomenon on the bases of past records. It also helps the researcher to discover the inclinations in the past and understand the current information. It also allows us to anticipate future findings.
- Philosophical research: This method of research discovers the fundamentals of knowledge, reality, and existence.
- Review: This research concentrates on the formal assessment of the topic and also allows to make changes if needed.
- Research synthesis or meta-analysis: In this method, two or more research studies are processed to summarize the facts regarding a specific question.
What are the misconceptions about the types of Research Methods?
There are many misunderstandings of students regarding the term “research.” You must have a correct understanding of research and its methods before working on it.
Research is not centered on the likes and dislikes of people.
Liking and disliking do not come under the research methodology. “Like” is a subjective term and doesn’t suit to a critical thinker. To get the exact information, you must require accurate data for your academic work.
Research doesn’t focus on non-scientific beliefs.
To learn scientific research, you must go for other resources like mythical or religious. However, many scholars search for religious channels to learn the history of the earth and its life formation. When you go in deep, you find the discrepancy in belief and scientific evidence for the same topic.
Research doesn’t protect an individual’s thoughts.
You can’t use research to protect people’s opinions. The main work of research work is to reveal the facts and truth of the specific topic. Make sure to not go for any individual estimations unless you have to draft a persuasive research work.
Now, you will get the idea of what research is and what are the types of research methods. Before starting your project, you must understand what types of research methods are beneficial for your documents. Doing so will help you to share the desired information. The selection of the correct research method will provide you the desired outcomes. Read the above information carefully to understand the types of research methods. It also helps you to understand the misconceptions regarding the research methods.
Need assistance for types of research methods?
Great Assignment Help provides a perfect platform for all scholars for their assignment writing. Our consistent team of academic writers has rich experience in their field. They are much efficient to provide essays, assignment research articles, and various academic activities irrespective of subjects. Get the following benefits of our online assignment writing services:
- 100% plagiarism free work: You will not get copied content from us. Our philosophy of working is to provide plagiarism free work. Use our assignment help to score high marks on your assignments.
- On-time project delivery: Connect with us and receive your project timely. Our experts put their effort and dedication to providing an on-time project. With us, you do not need to worry about due dates for your assignment.
- 24*7 Customer services: There is no time limit for placing your order with us. We have an active customer support team who available round the clock to serve every scholar.
- High-quality content: Our team of professionals has completed their masters and Ph.D. They also make sure students receive quality and informative content for their academic tasks. Furthermore, you will find positive academic growth with us.