The focus automatically generates when you read an interesting and appealing subject. We often come across the situation when we are forced to read something that draws no interest to us. If your exams are near, then this is the situation you are obliged to read something. If you learn to focus better, this will not help in reading but every aspect of life be it professional or personal. So the focus is the key to learn.
Useful tips on how to focus on reading
Below are the best tips which will help you to improve your focus while reading:
- You of pen and pencil to guide: If you make use of a pen, pencil or even your hand to guide you while reading, your eyes will follow their steps. Smoothly travel from left to right and keep moving your eyes along with the moving material. You may feel uncomfortable in the beginning, but once you learn the technique, you will find it easy.
- Remove distractions: If you get easily distracted while reading, remove the things that are the cause of distraction. Some distractions seem out of control, but still, you need to avoid them.
For eg. If you are sitting in a common room, people will continuously walk in and around the area. So find a place where nobody disturbs you.
If your phone constantly keeps on ringing, the sound of the TV is another distraction. If you have a habit of regularly checking your emails and messages, keep your phone in silence.
Feeling hungry, thirsty, hot, cold are also things that cause disruptions while reading. If you are stressed or worried, avoid reading in that situation, as you may not able to concentrate.
- Take small breaks: Don’t keep constantly reading. Take short breaks after every one hour, or when you feel to do so. Get refreshed, eat something, drink water and again get back to learn. You will get time to recall the things or simply turn the pages to have an overview of what you have learned.
- Listen to Music: This is the best way to concentrate while reading. Try instrumental or classical music.
- Choose an environment: Create an environment where you fully indulge in reading. This means avoiding all distractions. The perfect environment to read is free from any mess or regular human activities.
- Make the reading interesting: We are employed to read something that does not go well with your interests. There are several causes to feel bore like the information is figurative or relying on facts and figures or the tone of the author is not interesting. Read while watching a video or images related to the topic. This appears less boring. Find relevant information to comprehend better with the subject and will help you to understand better.
- Use proved reading tips: Read it 2-3 times. While reading for the first time, your mind takes time to calibrate. Even the fresh and crude information does not fit into your mind. When you read it for the second time, the information is already in your memories. This time your brain needs less focus to read.
- Meditation before reading: It is already proven that meditation helps you to focus better. This is a soul-refreshing session. Release all the thoughts in mind before starting and relax your body. Make your mind free from all the anxieties.
- Get a companion: Look for a person who has the same reading habits as yours. Make it a friendly session, so you may not feel bored and keeps you motivated. Get a companion who is innovative and practical. This will give way to an interesting communication and varying theories and ideas. You can make the boring subject fun and easy.
- Read, recall and review: Go back and read the material again. It will allow you to recall the information. Our mind keeps wandering while reading. Break the paragraphs into small chunks. Recalling and reviewing the topic is the trick to focus on. Make it a habit of reading again and again. To do this, read loudly in your mind.
What are the benefits of reading?
Once you have to learn how to focus on reading, make it a habit to pick up the benefits.
- Stress reduction: Reading a novel or story keeps you away from all your worries anxieties. This will create a stress-free environment free for you.
- Improve your knowledge: Apart from improving the reading habits, it will enhance your knowledge. Grasp the knowledge from where ever you get it. Every bit of information that passes by may be helpful to you. Improving knowledge will support you to tackle any adverse situations. Knowledge helps you to acquire health and wealth.
- Improving vocabulary: The more you read the more words you will add to your dictionary. When you will read more, you will develop a skill of effective communication. Your sound knowledge of words will help to excel in your career. It will promote your courage and self-esteem.
- Critical Thinking: Reading a mystery novel is always interesting. Before reaching the end, you put all your efforts to critically think about it. You deeply think about the characters.
Mistakes to avoid during reading
Common mistakes people make while reading is:
- Don’t read to memorize: Don’t restrict yourself to memorize the things. Read to enhance your knowledge and learn new concepts. Have a deep understanding of the subject, so that you can explain it to the other person.
- Reading without purpose: Many people read from start to end, without realizing the purpose. They are exactly not sure about why they are obliged to read the subject. Read the right material, understand key concepts and use the right strategies to read.
- Don’t read at once: Due to a shortage of time, we all want to complete the task at once. Divide it into small sections and make a schedule to read them in small parts.